The Raven Players theater troupe, based at the Raven Theater in Healdsburg, has never lacked ambition, going after the rights to big Broadway shows that can be difficult for community theaters to get — “Rent” in 2010, “Chicago” in 2011. So the latest news from the plucky little company makes perfect sense. “We are the first North Bay community theater to be granted the licensing to the full-length version of Les Misérables,” Raven Players president John DeGaetano announced this week.… Read More »
A Press Democrat Blog
Dan Taylor on the fine arts scene.
After four decades onstage, Grace Slick became a full-time painter. Paintings by Slick, former lead singer of Jefferson Airplane, Jefferson Starship and Starship, will be on display Oct. 26 through Nov. 2 at the Just For You Gallery, at 115 Plaza St. in Healdsburg. Slick started her second career, as an artist, 12 years ago, and has built a reputation for humor and satire. It should be no surprise to her fans that the star famed for singing “White Rabbit”… Read More »
As event titles go, it’s a little long, but it’s bound to have broad appeal. This weekend, Richard Ragan Fine Art & Oriental Rugs and the Hudson Street Wineries present “The Integration of Fine Art and Fine Wine.” The event celebrates the recent relocation of Ragan’s Healdsburg gallery, which opened last year on Healdsburg Avenue, to Old Roma Station, home of the Hudson Street Wineries, at 420 Hudson St. in Healdsburg. An exhibit of paintings by Sylvia Verange of Corte… Read More »
There will be some top paddlers competing in the second annual Great Russian River Race, but don’t get the idea you have to be one of them to join the fun. “While 20 percent of the field are serious paddlers, the remaining 80 percent are out for a fun day on the river, followed by a great party with live music, local food, wine and beer, and kid’s activities,” said organizer Tony Hansen. Advanced paddlers will compete in the 15-mile… Read More »
Some film festivals thrive, some fade and others change, expand and adapt. The Bodega Bay International Short Film Festival, which drew more than 900 movie buffs to its debut event last year, is moving to a new town and has adopted a new name. Renamed the Healdsburg International Short Film Festival, the event will be held Sept. 21-23 this year at several Healdsburg venues. For more information: healdsburgfilmfest.org.
Percussionist Mickey Hart of Grateful Dead fame brings his own band to Healdsburg to perform March 7 at the Raven Theater. The Mickey Hart Band, which staged a sold-out, 15-date tour in December, the Mickey Hart Band band includes Tony Award-winning singer Crystal Monee Hall, singer Tim Hockenberry, bassist Dave Schools, drummer Ian Herman, guitarist Gawain Matthews, percussionist Sikuru Adepoju and keyboardist Ben Yonas. The show will feature both new material and music from Hart’s solo and Grateful Dead careers.… Read More »
When the Los Angeles-based, German-American indie band Echorev plays Nov. 26 the Raven Theater in Healdsburg, it will be more than just another stop on the tour. It’ll be a homecoming of sorts. Echorev singer-guitarist Johnny Nicholson is the son of wine broker Robert Nicholson of International Wines in Healdsburg. The trio also includes Jörn Bielfeldt and Ann Driscoll. The band’s debut CD is “Find North,” from Monkey Rock Records. The show opens at 7:30 p.m. with Sonoma County singer-songwriter… Read More »
Art collector Richard Ragan welcomes the public to his new Ragan Gallery in Healdsburg with a reception from 5 to 8 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 8. The gallery, located at 210 Healdsburg Ave., features artifacts from Ragan’s extensive collection of 20th-century art, sculpture, antique carpets and art books. Information: 473 0612, Ragangallery@att. The reception will include tastings of wines from Topel Winery and pastries from Costeaux French Bakery.
Two Sonoma County artists who make art out of cast-off odds and ends — Chris Blum of Healdsburg and Monty Monty of Santa Rosa — are featured in a new exhibit at the Napa Valley Museum. “It’s Not What It Use to Be: Fresh Art from Found Elements” opens Saturday, Feb. 12, and runs through April 30. The show also features work by Daniel Hale and Burges Smith of St. Helena and Susan Leibovitz Steinman of Oakland. There will be… Read More »
Santa Rosa artist Alison Whalen stands 5-foot-2 and weighs about 100 pounds, so naturally, her nickname is “Big Al.” Her artistic specialty is every bit as whimsical and interesting as her offbeat moniker. Whalen makes collages and sculptures out of the foil from wine and champagne bottles, which she describes as “those little jewels around the necks of the bottles that usually end up in the landfill after the bottle is recycled.” If you’re intrigued enough to go take a… Read More »